where to install kallithea, public server

where to install kallithea, public server

Uwe Brauer

Hi

I am still thinking about an alternative to bitbucket. Helix is nice but
allows me only 5 collaborators hetapod is also nice, but my university
currently will not pay for such a service.

So I thought to install kallithea myself, in principle it could be done
on server of my university but I have too see, whether I get the ok from
the administration.

Given such service as dropbbox I was wondering if I could «rent» some
space on a server and install kallisthea there.

Any pointers?

Regards

Uwe Brauer

Re: where to install kallithea, public server

Makarius
On 03/07/2020 21:17, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> I am still thinking about an alternative to bitbucket. Helix is nice but
> allows me only 5 collaborators hetapod is also nice, but my university
> currently will not pay for such a service.

You could also try Phabricator: it is a very unusual/nonstandard product, but
has its merits. See my blog entry:
https://sketis.net/2019/isabelle-phabricator-server-setup

        Makarius

Re: where to install kallithea, public server

Michael McNeil Forbes
Hi Uwe,

I was able to run Heptapod in a rootless Docker container.  Still having issues with SSH and HTTPS access (probably due to non-standard ports) but it was enough to import all of my bitbucket repos.  We plan to host this in an AWS instance later.

I have some notes here:

https://labs.wsu.edu/forbes/draft/linux/#Heptapod

Michael.

> On Jul 3, 2020, at 12:17 PM, Uwe Brauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi
>
> I am still thinking about an alternative to bitbucket. Helix is nice but
> allows me only 5 collaborators hetapod is also nice, but my university
> currently will not pay for such a service.
>
> So I thought to install kallithea myself, in principle it could be done
> on server of my university but I have too see, whether I get the ok from
> the administration.
>
> Given such service as dropbbox I was wondering if I could «rent» some
> space on a server and install kallisthea there.
>
> Any pointers?
>
> Regards
>
> Uwe Brauer

Re: where to install kallithea, public server

Thomas De Schampheleire
Hello,

El vie., 3 jul. 2020 a las 21:25, Uwe Brauer (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

Hi

I am still thinking about an alternative to bitbucket. Helix is nice but
allows me only 5 collaborators hetapod is also nice, but my university
currently will not pay for such a service.

So I thought to install kallithea myself, in principle it could be done
on server of my university but I have too see, whether I get the ok from
the administration.

Kallithea can be installed as normal user, assuming you use a port higher than 1024. The default is 5000 but any other one could work too.
You can install it natively or using docker. Since version 0.5.0 there is support for SSH repository access.

Depending on your needs, you may favor one alternative over another.

Best regards,
Thomas

Re: where to install kallithea, public server

Uwe Brauer
>>> "MF" == Michael Forbes <[hidden email]> writes:

Hi Michael

> Hi Uwe,
> I was able to run Heptapod in a rootless Docker container. Still
> having issues with SSH and HTTPS access (probably due to non-standard
> ports) but it was enough to import all of my bitbucket repos. We plan
> to host this in an AWS instance later.

That sounds very interesting. Do you know, by any change, the pricing of
these AWS instances?

Best regards

Uwe

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: where to install kallithea, public server

Michael McNeil Forbes

>> Hi Uwe,
>> I was able to run Heptapod in a rootless Docker container. Still
>> having issues with SSH and HTTPS access (probably due to non-standard
>> ports) but it was enough to import all of my bitbucket repos. We plan
>> to host this in an AWS instance later.
>

> That sounds very interesting. Do you know, by any change, the pricing of
> these AWS instances?

We will do it through our ITS department: It depends on usage, but I think somewhere about ~$30/month.  We plan to host several services, including Heptapod, Discourse, and CoCalc for our group.

Michael.

Re: where to install kallithea, public server

Alessandro Dentella-2
On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 08:52:47AM +0200, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> > I was able to run Heptapod in a rootless Docker container. Still
> > having issues with SSH and HTTPS access (probably due to non-standard
> > ports) but it was enough to import all of my bitbucket repos. We plan
> > to host this in an AWS instance later.

Where I work we're very happy with Heptapod. It's super complete being a
complete gitlab behemoth... I really appreciate that it foster adoption of
topics that I wasn't using and I find very handy.

Docker installation of heptapod is very easy (with ssh and https behind
traefik2+, everithing working perfectly)

Once we did this step we went further and integrated the registy and the
runners. Since I didn't have any previous experience of ci/cd it took me some
effort honestly to get the grasp of the whole picture.

I host it on contabo -the cheapest VPS I know of- that for 9 Euro/month gives me
6 cores and 16 GB RAM and 400 SSD disk, we run it along wih jitsi-meet, and some
minor services.

I can share my experience and configuration, in case. Support channel is via
mattermost and has been very helpful (Thanks Georges Racinet).

sandro
*:-)

Re: where to install kallithea, public server

Uwe Brauer

Hi

   > On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 08:52:47AM +0200, Uwe Brauer wrote:

   > Where I work we're very happy with Heptapod. It's super complete being a
   > complete gitlab behemoth... I really appreciate that it foster adoption of
   > topics that I wasn't using and I find very handy.

   > Docker installation of heptapod is very easy (with ssh and https behind
   > traefik2+, everithing working perfectly)

   > Once we did this step we went further and integrated the registy and the
   > runners. Since I didn't have any previous experience of ci/cd it took me some
   > effort honestly to get the grasp of the whole picture.

   > I host it on contabo -the cheapest VPS I know of- that for 9 Euro/month gives me
   > 6 cores and 16 GB RAM and 400 SSD disk, we run it along wih jitsi-meet, and some
   > minor services.

   > I can share my experience and configuration, in case. Support channel is via
   > mattermost and has been very helpful (Thanks Georges Racinet).

Ok that sounds a bit more reasonable, I might give it a try in a couple
of weeks, thanks for pointing it out to me.