using mercurial to manage a website

Michael P. Soulier
I am currently using hg to manage a website. Unfortunately my local,
development configuration is different from that of the production site.

I want to have everything in version control so that I can just check it out
and work on it. But, in production, I don't want to pick up some changes.

I suppose I could just use a local .hgignore file in production? Or would a
branch for production help achieve this? I'm not sure that it would.

Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <[hidden email]>
direction." --Albert Einstein

Re: using mercurial to manage a website

Dustin Sallings-2

On Jul 10, 2007, at 15:46 , Michael P. Soulier wrote:

> I am currently using hg to manage a website. Unfortunately my local,
> development configuration is different from that of the production
> site.
>
> I want to have everything in version control so that I can just
> check it out
> and work on it. But, in production, I don't want to pick up some
> changes.
>
> I suppose I could just use a local .hgignore file in production? Or
> would a
> branch for production help achieve this? I'm not sure that it would.

        I don't really like the idea of using a revision control system as a
deployment tool.

        For my web projects, I've just got a script in the dev tree that
rsyncs content out to web servers.  This script can decide what to
ignore, or otherwise decide how to prep the tree for distribution.

--
Dustin Sallings

On 10/07/07 Dustin Sallings said:

> I don't really like the idea of using a revision control system as a
> deployment tool.
>
> For my web projects, I've just got a script in the dev tree that
> rsyncs content out to web servers.  This script can decide what to
> ignore, or otherwise decide how to prep the tree for distribution.

I've used CVS, SVN and HG for this, and had little trouble. The worst case was
to run a script on the site after doing an update. I'm just looking for a
simpler way.

Mike