"tmp_versions" vs ".tmp_versions" (.hgignore)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

"tmp_versions" vs ".tmp_versions" (.hgignore)

iler.ml
[v 0.9.4 ]
The add/commit ignored file ".tmp_versions" in add/commi.
The strange part is that my .hgignore [1] does not have ".tmp_versions".
But has "tmp_versions". Why the ".tmp_versions" was ignored ?

Thanks
Yakov

[1] .hgignore
# this is .hgingore at the base of the repo
syntax: glob
*.swp
*.swo
*~
*.sw?
*.o
tmp_versions
*.mod.c
*.o
*.ko
*.o.d
*.ko.cmd
*.o.cmd
*.mine
*.r[0-9]
*.r[0-9][0-9]
*.r[0-9][0-9]
*.r[0-9][0-9][0-9]
*.r[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]
*.r[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]
*.ORIG
svn-commit.tmp
Modules.symvers
Module.symvers
tprof.out
core
core.[0-9]*
tmon.out


_______________________________________________
Mercurial mailing list
[hidden email]
http://selenic.com/mailman/listinfo/mercurial
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "tmp_versions" vs ".tmp_versions" (.hgignore)

Evan Powers
On 7/14/07, Yakov Lerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The strange part is that my .hgignore [1] does not have ".tmp_versions".
> But has "tmp_versions". Why the ".tmp_versions" was ignored ?

Because neither glob nor regexp expression matches are "rooted"; in
other words "a" in glob syntax will match files "a", "ba", even "c/a",
but not "ad". The man page mentions this if you read carefully, but
it's easy to miss. Right now you have to use a rooted regexp to avoid
that behavior, in your case:

syntax: regexp
^tmp_versions

- Evan
_______________________________________________
Mercurial mailing list
[hidden email]
http://selenic.com/mailman/listinfo/mercurial
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "tmp_versions" vs ".tmp_versions" (.hgignore)

Evan Powers-2
On 7/15/07, Alexis S. L. Carvalho <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can't reproduce this (nor can I reproduce your problem with
> .tmp_versions).

Maybe it's a Windows related problem, as I can easily reproduce with
0.9.4 on windows. I thought it was normal behavior on all platforms
though (matches aren't rooted). Am I mistaken? Yakov, did I
misunderstand your problem?

$ hg init
$ touch .tmp_versions
$ touch tmp_versions
$ hg status -A
? .tmp_versions
? tmp_versions
$ echo tmp_versions >.hgignore
$ hg status -A
? .hgignore
I .tmp_versions
I tmp_versions

- Evan

On 7/16/07, I wrote:
> Because neither glob nor regexp expression matches are "rooted"; in
> other words "a" in glob syntax will match files "a", "ba", even "c/a",
> but not "ad". The man page mentions this if you read carefully, but
> it's easy to miss.
_______________________________________________
Mercurial mailing list
[hidden email]
http://selenic.com/mailman/listinfo/mercurial
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "tmp_versions" vs ".tmp_versions" (.hgignore)

David Frey-2
I don't believe that Evan has shown the same behavior.  Evan, you
redirect output to your .hgignore, so the only content of that file is
"tmp_versions".  Alexis' example shows "syntax: glob" at the top of
the file.  Since the default is regexp syntax, you are comparing two
different things.

David

On 7/16/2007, "Evan Powers" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 7/15/07, Alexis S. L. Carvalho <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I can't reproduce this (nor can I reproduce your problem with
>> .tmp_versions).
>
>Maybe it's a Windows related problem, as I can easily reproduce with
>0.9.4 on windows. I thought it was normal behavior on all platforms
>though (matches aren't rooted). Am I mistaken? Yakov, did I
>misunderstand your problem?
>
>$ hg init
>$ touch .tmp_versions
>$ touch tmp_versions
>$ hg status -A
>? .tmp_versions
>? tmp_versions
>$ echo tmp_versions >.hgignore
>$ hg status -A
>? .hgignore
>I .tmp_versions
>I tmp_versions
>
>- Evan
>
>On 7/16/07, I wrote:
>> Because neither glob nor regexp expression matches are "rooted"; in
>> other words "a" in glob syntax will match files "a", "ba", even "c/a",
>> but not "ad". The man page mentions this if you read carefully, but
>> it's easy to miss.
>_______________________________________________
>Mercurial mailing list
>[hidden email]
>http://selenic.com/mailman/listinfo/mercurial

_______________________________________________
Mercurial mailing list
[hidden email]
http://selenic.com/mailman/listinfo/mercurial
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "tmp_versions" vs ".tmp_versions" (.hgignore)

Evan Powers-2
On 7/16/07, David Frey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't believe that Evan has shown the same behavior.  Evan, you
> redirect output to your .hgignore, so the only content of that file is
> "tmp_versions".  Alexis' example shows "syntax: glob" at the top of
> the file.  Since the default is regexp syntax, you are comparing two
> different things.

You're right. And, indeed, globs won't behave like my example.

Yakov, maybe .tmp_versions is a directory that is empty or contains
only ignored files, as in your other thread?

- Evan
_______________________________________________
Mercurial mailing list
[hidden email]
http://selenic.com/mailman/listinfo/mercurial
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "tmp_versions" vs ".tmp_versions" (.hgignore)

TK Soh
In reply to this post by iler.ml
On 7/15/07, Yakov Lerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [v 0.9.4 ]
> The add/commit ignored file ".tmp_versions" in add/commi.
> The strange part is that my .hgignore [1] does not have ".tmp_versions".
> But has "tmp_versions". Why the ".tmp_versions" was ignored ?

Just curious, do you see ".tmp_versions" with hg status --ignored?
_______________________________________________
Mercurial mailing list
[hidden email]
http://selenic.com/mailman/listinfo/mercurial