merge from a topic

Alessandro Dentella-2

Hi,

I've been testing topics, staks and absorbe and I found it very nice. I',
working with hg 5.3 and last evolve extension.

I have a couple of doubts that are unanswered by the tutorial that I found.

I open a topic and write some changesets, play with them as needed till they
are just good to be merged into default branch.

If default has some new changeset, that would be a normal merge. Simple.

In case default has no new changeset, the real operation would be to just get
rid of the topic tag, nothing else I guess. What's the proper way to do that?

If I try to merge hg complains there's nothiong to merge

TIA
sandro
*:-)

Re: merge from a topic

Georges Racinet-2
Hi,

On 3/15/20 7:52 PM, Alessandro Dentella wrote:
> I've been testing topics, staks and absorbe and I found it very nice. I',
> working with hg 5.3 and last evolve extension.
Always nice to read  :-)

> I have a couple of doubts that are unanswered by the tutorial that I found.
>
> I open a topic and write some changesets, play with them as needed till they
> are just good to be merged into default branch.
>
> If default has some new changeset, that would be a normal merge. Simple.
>
> In case default has no new changeset, the real operation would be to just get
> rid of the topic tag, nothing else I guess. What's the proper way to do that?
That case is even simpler, just publish your changeset, with `hg phase
--public -r REV`.

Alternatively, if your next move is to push it, you can directly issue
`hg push -r REV --publish`

--
Georges Racinet
https://octobus.net, https://heptapod.net

Re: merge from a topic

Pierre-Yves David-2
Regarding you merge attempt: Even if the topic is purely ahead of the
changesets, I think you should be able to merge the topic. Can you share
the graph you have and the error you get ?

Regarding topic in general: the standard way to "remove the topic" when
the changes are ready is to make the change public (It make the topic
information fade away). What's is your current setup and when do you
move your changeset to the public phases ?

On 3/15/20 7:52 PM, Alessandro Dentella wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been testing topics, staks and absorbe and I found it very nice. I',
> working with hg 5.3 and last evolve extension.
>
> I have a couple of doubts that are unanswered by the tutorial that I found.
>
> I open a topic and write some changesets, play with them as needed till they
> are just good to be merged into default branch.
>
> If default has some new changeset, that would be a normal merge. Simple.
>
> In case default has no new changeset, the real operation would be to just get
> rid of the topic tag, nothing else I guess. What's the proper way to do that?
>
> If I try to merge hg complains there's nothiong to merge
>
> TIA
> sandro
> *:-)

Pierre-Yves David

Re: merge from a topic

Uwe Brauer
>>> "PD" == Pierre-Yves David <[hidden email]> writes:

   > Regarding you merge attempt: Even if the topic is purely ahead of the
   > changesets, I think you should be able to merge the topic. Can you
   > share the graph you have and the error you get ?

I am not sure I understand what you are saying but the following is NOT
possible

hg init
echo "First" > test.org
hg add test.org
hg commit -u "Bernhard Riemann <[hidden email]>" -m "First"
echo "Second" >> test.org
hg commit -u "Bernhard Riemann <[hidden email]>" -m "Second"
echo "Third" >> test.org
hg commit -u "Bernhard Riemann <[hidden email]>" -m "Third"
echo "Forth" >> test.org
hg commit  -m "Fourth"
hg topics NewTopic
echo "Fifth" >> test.org
hg commit  -m "Fifth"
echo "Six" >> test.org
hg commit  -m "Six"
hg log -G
hg heads

This is  linear history if you had created a Named Branch instead of
Topic, I could merge tip into changeset (local number) 3. But with a
topic I cannot.

But maybe I misunderstand your proposal.

Regards

Uwe Brauer

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment