mercurial on ubuntu

Ernie Rael-2
At long last, I've got a unix machine at home.

Doing "apt install mercurial" installed 5.5.1. So I thought I'd get the
latest, 5.7.1. The download page suggest using some PPA for ubuntu, it
seems years out of date. I'm guessing I can install a centos release; I
see there are two; centos7, centos8. Does it matter which one I pick?

-ernie

Re: mercurial on ubuntu

Dr Rainer Woitok
Ernie,

On Saturday, 2021-02-20 10:07:55 -0800, you wrote:

> Doing "apt install mercurial" installed 5.5.1. So I thought I'd get the
> latest, 5.7.1. The download page suggest using some PPA for ubuntu, it
> seems years out of date.

Under Ubuntu you'll need the additional dependencies "python",  "python-
dev", and "python-docutils".  Then just use the Ubuntu Mercurial to do

   $ cd ~
   $ hg clone -U https://www.mercurial-scm.org/repo/hg-stable mercurial
   $ cd mercurial
   $ hg up stable
   $ make local
   $ make doc

Finally prefix environment variable "PATH" with "~/mercurial:".  Voila.

Sincerely,
  Rainer

Re: mercurial on ubuntu

Marcus Harnisch-2
On 20/02/2021 19.07, Ernie Rael wrote:
> Doing "apt install mercurial" installed 5.5.1. So I thought I'd get the
> latest, 5.7.1. The download page suggest using some PPA for ubuntu, it
> seems years out of date.

Indeed we had a brief discussion a while back:

   https://www.mercurial-scm.org/pipermail/mercurial/2018-March/050807.html
   https://www.mercurial-scm.org/pipermail/mercurial/2019-April/051194.html

The recommendation to compile from sources doesn't make Mercurial an
attractive option. The simple ‘make all install’ doesn't install ‘chg’
(which I believe is essential for a decent user experience), nor does it
install shell completion, etc.

Is there anyone with Launchpad experience who could take care of this?

Cheers,
Marcus

Re: mercurial on ubuntu

Uwe Brauer
>>> "RW" == Rainer Woitok <[hidden email]> writes:

   > Ernie,
   > On Saturday, 2021-02-20 10:07:55 -0800, you wrote:

   >> Doing "apt install mercurial" installed 5.5.1. So I thought I'd get the
   >> latest, 5.7.1. The download page suggest using some PPA for ubuntu, it
   >> seems years out of date.

   > Under Ubuntu you'll need the additional dependencies "python",  "python-
   > dev", and "python-docutils".  Then just use the Ubuntu Mercurial to do

   >    $ cd ~
   >    $ hg clone -U https://www.mercurial-scm.org/repo/hg-stable mercurial
   >    $ cd mercurial
   >    $ hg up stable
   >    $ make local
   >    $ make doc

Why don't you run

 make deb

I do this and find it very convenient especially if I want to compiler a
newer (or older version: because of extensions not working with the
latest mercurial releases)

Uwe

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: mercurial on ubuntu

Uwe Brauer
>>> "MH" == Marcus Harnisch <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 20/02/2021 19.07, Ernie Rael wrote:
>> Doing "apt install mercurial" installed 5.5.1. So I thought I'd get
>> the latest, 5.7.1. The download page suggest using some PPA for
>> ubuntu, it seems years out of date.

> Indeed we had a brief discussion a while back:

>   https://www.mercurial-scm.org/pipermail/mercurial/2018-March/050807.html
>   https://www.mercurial-scm.org/pipermail/mercurial/2019-April/051194.html

> The recommendation to compile from sources doesn't make Mercurial an
> attractive option. The simple ‘make all install’ doesn't install ‘chg’
> (which I believe is essential for a decent user experience), nor does
> it install shell completion, etc.

Well I can't recall that the official deb did this neither (at least not
for 16.04 or the launchpad ones,  so I compile my own deb).

Maybe I am missing here something but what is chg supposed to be

Re: mercurial on ubuntu

Marcus Harnisch-2
On 21/02/2021 21.01, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Maybe I am missing here something but what is chg supposed to be

‘chg’ is a client for Mercurial's command server, which helps avoiding
Python's inherent startup overhead. It doesn't need any particular setup
and my be aliased to ‘hg’ for all practical purposes.

The command server mode is particularly useful when querying a
repository from other processes (scripts, or an imaginary “MaHgit” ;-))

The experts will know more, but I suppose this could still offer faster
startup time than an oxidized Mercurial.

Re: mercurial on ubuntu

Dr Rainer Woitok
Uwe,

On Sunday, 2021-02-21 18:40:59 +0100, you wrote:

>    >    $ cd ~
>    >    $ hg clone -U https://www.mercurial-scm.org/repo/hg-stable mercurial
>    >    $ cd mercurial
>    >    $ hg up stable
>    >    $ make local
>    >    $ make doc
>
> Why don't you run
>
>  make deb

1. I started rolling my own Mercurial  and shortly later also some other
   packages back in the late nineties using Solaris.   I am neither sure
   whether "deb"  already was a "make" target then  nor whether it would
   have bought me anything under Solaris.

2. Since different packages had different ways of configuring, building,
   providing documentation, testing, installing,  and uninstalling them,
   my scripts kept these individual tasks apart from the very beginning.

Above I more or less used copy and paste from my Mercurial configuration
section and  not even bothered  to replace the  two "make" calls  into a
single "make local doc".  But in any case this should work universally.

Sincerely,
  Rainer