mercurial.host, the Heptapod commercial service

mercurial.host, the Heptapod commercial service

Georges Racinet-2
Hi everybody,

Heptapod [1] has made really good progress lately. As a result, we're
almost ready to launch the long awaited public commercial service [2].

We're planning to launch it as https://mercurial.host around the middle
of *this week*.

We've already bought that domain name, but as a courtesy to the
community, we wanted to ask if there were strong objections to us using
it for these purposes.

We'll be giving more details both about the upcoming new Heptapod
version and the commercial service in separate messages. In the present
one, I wanted to focus on the domain name.

So, what do you think ?

Take care,

[1] for those who wouldn't know what I'm talking about, see
https://heptapod.net

[2] see https://clever-cloud.com/en/heptapod

--
Georges Racinet
https://octobus.net, https://heptapod.net

Re: mercurial.host, the Heptapod commercial service

Augie Fackler-2
(-mercurial@)

> On Mar 22, 2020, at 17:29, Georges Racinet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everybody,
>
> Heptapod [1] has made really good progress lately. As a result, we're
> almost ready to launch the long awaited public commercial service [2].
>
> We're planning to launch it as https://mercurial.host around the middle
> of *this week*.
>
> We've already bought that domain name, but as a courtesy to the
> community, we wanted to ask if there were strong objections to us using
> it for these purposes.
>
> We'll be giving more details both about the upcoming new Heptapod
> version and the commercial service in separate messages. In the present
> one, I wanted to focus on the domain name.
>
> So, what do you think ?

I guess I'm kind of -0: it kind of makes it sound like it's "blessed" by the upstream community as _the_ hosting provider to me. I suppose if mercurial.host redirected to some other name for the service that doesn't really bug me, since the name wouldn't just be "mercurial host"?

Sadly, I don't have concrete naming suggestions that would make sense. Naming is hard...

> Take care,
>

> [1] for those who wouldn't know what I'm talking about, see
> https://heptapod.net
>
> [2] see https://clever-cloud.com/en/heptapod
>
> --
> Georges Racinet
> https://octobus.net, https://heptapod.net
> GPG: BF5456F4DC625443849B6E58EE20CA44EF691D39, sur serveurs publics

Re: mercurial.host, the Heptapod commercial service

Anton Shestakov-3
On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 10:23:05 -0400
Augie Fackler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Mar 22, 2020, at 17:29, Georges Racinet <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > We've already bought that domain name, but as a courtesy to the
> > community, we wanted to ask if there were strong objections to us using
> > it for these purposes.
> >
> > We'll be giving more details both about the upcoming new Heptapod
> > version and the commercial service in separate messages. In the present
> > one, I wanted to focus on the domain name.
> >
> > So, what do you think ?
>
> I guess I'm kind of -0: it kind of makes it sound like it's "blessed" by the upstream community as _the_ hosting provider to me. I suppose if mercurial.host redirected to some other name for the service that doesn't really bug me, since the name wouldn't just be "mercurial host"?

Or an "index" page, having a list of hosting options from
MercurialHosting wiki page (and/or having a link to said wiki page).

On 3/23/20 3:53 PM, Anton Shestakov wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 10:23:05 -0400
> Augie Fackler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> On Mar 22, 2020, at 17:29, Georges Racinet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> We've already bought that domain name, but as a courtesy to the
>>> community, we wanted to ask if there were strong objections to us using
>>> it for these purposes.
>> I guess I'm kind of -0: it kind of makes it sound like it's "blessed" by the upstream community as _the_ hosting provider to me. I suppose if mercurial.host redirected to some other name for the service that doesn't really bug me, since the name wouldn't just be "mercurial host"?
> Or an "index" page, having a list of hosting options from
> MercurialHosting wiki page (and/or having a link to said wiki page).
Thanks for these quick replies. Is it fair to summarize that each of you
isn't really in favor to it, while not very strongly opposed either?