hgserve encoding

Jérôme Godbout
Hi,

I have some trouble with the hgserve with apache2 with .cgi and my repos hosting, it mostly work except when it tell me I have corrupted file, but using the repos into local map drive work just fine and verify/recover doesn't show any problems with it either.

I known the setup is totally weird, but we try to get ride of many Windows machines (it's a work in progress).

I have the repos that was originally made under Windows copied to a Linux based machine. The Linux repos file server is sharing it with Samba so developer can pull/push to it. This work flawlessly.

I would like to finish the apache2/hg cgi to have all user stop using the map drive and use the web server instead. But right now I have a lot of weird problems.

I have a second Linux server that mount the samba share and have the apache2 with the hgconfig for cgi-bin. I can browse the page, pull from it but when I try to see some history (not all of them), raw or diff for some file it tell me my file are corrupted.

 /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/mercurial/revlog.py in __init__(self=<mercurial.filelog.filelog object>, opener=<mercurial.store._fncachevfs object>, indexfile='data/QmlScripts/Bodycad/Osteotomy/Steps/Plates/ProfilesModel/PlateModelAbstract.qml.i', checkambig=False)
    306             d = self._io.parseindex(indexdata, self._inline)
    307         except (ValueError, IndexError):
=>  308             raise RevlogError(_("index %s is corrupted") % (self.indexfile))
    309         self.index, nodemap, self._chunkcache = d
    310         if nodemap is not None:
global RevlogError = <class 'mercurial.error.RevlogError'>global _ = <function gettext>, self = <mercurial.filelog.filelog object>, self.indexfile = 'data/QmlScripts/Bodycad/Osteotomy/Steps/Plates/ProfilesModel/PlateModelAbstract.qml.i'

<class 'mercurial.error.RevlogError'>: index data/QmlScripts/Bodycad/Osteotomy/Steps/Plates/ProfilesModel/PlateModelAbstract.qml.i is corrupted
      args = ('index data/QmlScripts/Bodycad/Osteotomy/Steps/Pl...ofilesModel/PlateModelAbstract.qml.i is corrupted',)
      hint = None
      message = 'index data/QmlScripts/Bodycad/Osteotomy/Steps/Pl...ofilesModel/PlateModelAbstract.qml.i is corrupted'

I think I might have some encoding problems. Since the repos was made under Windows (porbably cp-1251 or wwindows-1251) and I'm using Linux for the hgweb. How can I check the repos encoding to make sure I'm doing the right thing? what is the hg web config encoding I should use? is there any apache2 encoding I should specify?

Most features work most of the time, so I  must be near.

bodycad
Jerome Godbout
Software Developer
2035 rue du Haut-Bord, Québec, QC, Canada. G1N 4R7
T:  <a href="tel:(418)%20527-1388" value="+14185271388" target="_blank">+1 418 527-1388
E: [hidden email]
www.bodycad.com

The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.

Le contenu de ce message et les pièces jointes sont destinés uniquement pour le(s) destinataire(s) et peuvent contenir des informations confidentielles et / ou privilégiées qui peuvent être protégées légalement contre toute divulgation. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce message ou son agent, ou si ce message vous a été adressé par erreur, s’il vous plaît avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur par courriel de réponse, puis supprimer ce message et les pièces jointes. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu, vous êtes par la présente informé que toute utilisation, diffusion, copie, ou stockage de ce message ou de ses pièces jointes est strictement interdit.

Re: hgserve encoding

Jérôme Godbout
Something is wrong with my setup but I can't figure out what, I have add the verbose=True into my hgweb.config, but when I try to pull some actual changeset, I end up with the following error:

hg pull --verbose http://BCADLX04/Bodycad/
searching for changes
all local heads known remotely
adding changesets
adding manifests
adding file changes
transaction abort!
rollback completed
abort: stream ended unexpectedly (got 0 bytes, expected 4)

I think this may be linked to my encoding problems.

Note: I have installed wsgi and move my config from cgi to wsgi and the behavior is the same. So I guess my problems is with some encoding (apache timeout and maximum request limits have been increase far beyond the necessaity here to make sure I was not hitting a wall).

bodycad
Jerome Godbout
Software Developer
2035 rue du Haut-Bord, Québec, QC, Canada. G1N 4R7
T:  +1 418 527-1388

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 9:09 AM, Jérôme Godbout <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yuya Nishihara
On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 09:09:55 -0400, Jérôme Godbout wrote:

> I have some trouble with the hgserve with apache2 with .cgi and my repos
> hosting, it mostly work except when it tell me I have corrupted file, but
> using the repos into local map drive work just fine and verify/recover
> doesn't show any problems with it either.
>
> I known the setup is totally weird, but we try to get ride of many Windows
> machines (it's a work in progress).
>
> I have the repos that was originally made under Windows copied to a Linux
> based machine. The Linux repos file server is sharing it with Samba so
> developer can pull/push to it. This work flawlessly.
>
> I would like to finish the apache2/hg cgi to have all user stop using the
> map drive and use the web server instead. But right now I have a lot of
> weird problems.
>
> I have a second Linux server that mount the samba share and have the
> apache2 with the hgconfig for cgi-bin. I can browse the page, pull from it
> but when I try to see some history (not all of them), raw or diff for some
> file it tell me my file are corrupted.

Does "hg verify" pass on the samba share? The first thing I would try is
to stop using shared filesystem behind hgweb to see if it is a filesystem
issue or not.

> I think I might have some encoding problems. Since the repos was made under
> Windows (porbably cp-1251 or wwindows-1251) and I'm using Linux for the
> hgweb.

Character encoding could be a problem if the repository has files of non-ASCII
name, and if the underlying filesystem is encoding-aware (e.g. Samba.) If the
repository is stored in local Unix filesystems (and if clients are Windows),
filenames are just bytes so cp1251 filenames should just work.

Re: hgserve encoding

Jérôme Godbout
I'm not sure if I have find every problems:
1. I have remove the hgweb.config encoding and let him choose.
2. There was also a subrepos that was not copied to the new file server (the personne who did it though that this subrepos is no more used, so no need to copy it! D'oh! still the error is a bit misleading, subrepos not found could have been a funnier error message).
Seem to work so far, but I didn't use it much so far. Thanks for the answer, yes we have non ascii file and characters inside some file (Qml file are utf-8, i18n file name might too have non ascii characters).

Would be nice if mercurial would be utf-8 all the way. And only the local update would convert to windows encoding from/to local files only (.hg into UTF-8 encoding). Would simplify the encoding cross platform mind puzzle. I guess that's wishful thinking and would result into other problems, hope one day Windows handle UTF-8 properly all the way around. Maybe I just don't get all the encoding difference with hg and windows/linux, but I still have hard time understand what is in which encoding for crossplatform repos, https://www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/CharacterEncodingOnWindows confuse me more then it help

Thanks again for the tips,
Jerome

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 11:58:53 -0400, Jérôme Godbout wrote:

> I'm not sure if I have find every problems:
> 1. I have remove the hgweb.config encoding and let him choose.
> 2. There was also a subrepos that was not copied to the new file server
> (the personne who did it though that this subrepos is no more used, so no
> need to copy it! D'oh! still the error is a bit misleading, subrepos not
> found could have been a funnier error message).
> Seem to work so far, but I didn't use it much so far. Thanks for the
> answer, yes we have non ascii file and characters inside some file (Qml
> file are utf-8, i18n file name might too have non ascii characters).
>
> Would be nice if mercurial would be utf-8 all the way. And only the local
> update would convert to windows encoding from/to local files only (.hg into
> UTF-8 encoding). Would simplify the encoding cross platform mind puzzle. I
> guess that's wishful thinking and would result into other problems, hope
> one day Windows handle UTF-8 properly all the way around. Maybe I just
> don't get all the encoding difference with hg and windows/linux, but I
> still have hard time understand what is in which encoding for crossplatform
> repos, https://www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/CharacterEncodingOnWindows
> confuse me more then it help

No idea where you've found the encoding problem. Mercurial treats everything
(except for commit metadata) as bytes. Filenames are bytes and contents are
also bytes.

Also, UTF-8 can't be a silver bullet. It's reasonable choice only if the input
is a valid unicode (not apply to all Windows encodings.)

Re: hgserve encoding

Jérôme Godbout
Thanks to clarify the things a bits, I got confuse with the
"Data that Mercurial does locale conversion on includes things like user names and commit messages...In the case of data taken from files, we should generally assume that the contents are in the cp1252 charset."
So I wasn't sure what was happening with that. I'm glad it use byte stream under the hood then. So what is the hgserv.config encoding used for exactly? is it only web data stream that is mark as encoded into particular way and it doesn't depend if the repos source? So a repos made under Windows and Linux would be exactly the same and the OS/FS doesn't matter for hg repos and access, except the commit metadata (I guess this is true with what you said).

On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 11:39:19 -0400, Jérôme Godbout wrote:
> So what is the hgserv.config encoding used for
> exactly? is it only web data stream that is mark as encoded into particular
> way and it doesn't depend if the repos source?

The encoding setting is for rendering contents as HTML, notification email,
etc. Cloning/pulling never touch character encoding.

> So a repos made under
> Windows and Linux would be exactly the same and the OS/FS doesn't matter
> for hg repos and access, except the commit metadata (I guess this is true
> with what you said).

The commit metadata is encoded as UTF-8, which should have no platform
difference. The major platform divergence is non-ASCII filenames on Windows.
Even still, clone/pull should work. update might fail on Windows if the repo
contains UTF-8 filename for example.

See the wiki for details.

https://www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/WindowsUTF8Plan

Re: hgserve encoding

Jérôme Godbout
Finaly found the problems, the 00manifest.i file was corrupted. We replaced the main repos .hg with one of the workstation clone and eveything is back to normal. Not sure why this got corrupted, but we will keep a tight backup on this. I guess the error was early sign of the file corruption.

Next step, remove the samba and use NFS!

> On Aug 10, 2017, at 8:34 AM, Yuya Nishihara <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 09:09:55 -0400, Jérôme Godbout wrote:
>> I have some trouble with the hgserve with apache2 with .cgi and my repos
>> hosting, it mostly work except when it tell me I have corrupted file, but
>> using the repos into local map drive work just fine and verify/recover
>> doesn't show any problems with it either.
>>
>> I known the setup is totally weird, but we try to get ride of many Windows
>> machines (it's a work in progress).
>>
>> I have the repos that was originally made under Windows copied to a Linux
>> based machine. The Linux repos file server is sharing it with Samba so
>> developer can pull/push to it. This work flawlessly.
>>
>> I would like to finish the apache2/hg cgi to have all user stop using the
>> map drive and use the web server instead. But right now I have a lot of
>> weird problems.
>>
>> I have a second Linux server that mount the samba share and have the
>> apache2 with the hgconfig for cgi-bin. I can browse the page, pull from it
>> but when I try to see some history (not all of them), raw or diff for some
>> file it tell me my file are corrupted.
>
> Does "hg verify" pass on the samba share? The first thing I would try is
> to stop using shared filesystem behind hgweb to see if it is a filesystem
> issue or not.
>
>> I think I might have some encoding problems. Since the repos was made under
>> Windows (porbably cp-1251 or wwindows-1251) and I'm using Linux for the
>> hgweb.
>
> Character encoding could be a problem if the repository has files of non-ASCII
> name, and if the underlying filesystem is encoding-aware (e.g. Samba.) If the
> repository is stored in local Unix filesystems (and if clients are Windows),
> filenames are just bytes so cp1251 filenames should just work.

Re: hgserve encoding

Jérôme Godbout
After I fix it, eveytime I push with the web server, it work once then I end up with a
"index 00manifest.i is corrupted"
The repos is dead again and again.
So I can read, push once then it get corrupted?!? If I push with the map drive locally it work flawlessly.

Any idea what can cause this? this seem to be repeatable if you need additional information.