directory mysteriously ignored

iler.ml
I added bunch of files (8,000) files to the freshly initialized repo.
After the clone, I found that one directory was ignored.
Directory name was  'saved-dotfiles-old-expand'.

How can I find out why it was ignored and fix it ?

There nothing line this in .hgignore. The .hgignore file is below.
The fun this is, another directory named 'saved-dotfiles-zzz-old-expand'
was *NOT* ignored.

Thanks
Yakov

[1] .hgignore file
# this is .hgingore at the base of the repo
syntax: glob
*.swp
*.swo
*~
*.sw?
*.o
tmp_versions
*.mod.c
*.o
*.ko
*.o.d
*.ko.cmd
*.o.cmd
*.mine
*.r[0-9]
*.r[0-9][0-9]
*.r[0-9][0-9]
*.r[0-9][0-9][0-9]
*.r[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]
*.r[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]
*.ORIG
svn-commit.tmp
Modules.symvers
Module.symvers
tprof.out
core
core.[0-9]*
tmon.out

Re: directory mysteriously ignored

iler.ml
Self-correction:

> There nothing line this in .hgignore. The .hgignore file is
> below. The fun this is, another directory named
> 'saved-dotfiles-zzz-old-expand'
> was *NOT* ignored.

 Sorry for the garbled syntax. This should read:

There is nothing like this in .hgignore.
The .hgignore file is below.
Surprisingly, another directory similarly named
                 'saved-dotfiles-zzz-old-expand'
was *NOT* ignored.

Re: directory mysteriously ignored

Alexis S. L. Carvalho
Thus spake Yakov Lerner:
> I added bunch of files (8,000) files to the freshly initialized repo.
> After the clone, I found that one directory was ignored.
> Directory name was  'saved-dotfiles-old-expand'.

You do know that hg doesn't track directories, right?  So I'm assuming
that "directory <foo> was ignored" means "files inside directory <foo>
were ignored".

I can't reproduce this (nor can I reproduce your problem with
.tmp_versions).  Have you defined some global hgignore file?  I.e. does
this command give you any output:

hg showconfig ui | grep ignore

Otherwise I'm not sure what this could be...  Is your python instalation
OK?  The three problems that you reported were regex-related, so maybe
there was some problem in the re (or _sre) module...

Alexis

On 7/14/07, Alexis S. L. Carvalho <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thus spake Yakov Lerner:
> > I added bunch of files (8,000) files to the freshly initialized repo.
> > After the clone, I found that one directory was ignored.
> > Directory name was  'saved-dotfiles-old-expand'.
>
> Have you defined some global hgignore file?
no

> I.e. does this command give you any output:
> hg showconfig ui | grep ignore

Empty output

> You do know that hg doesn't track directories, right?  So I'm assuming
> that "directory <foo> was ignored" means "files inside directory <foo>
> were ignored".

The ignored directory contains following fils:

% find saved-dotfiles-old-expand
saved-dotfiles-old-expand
saved-dotfiles-old-expand/dotvim_dir
saved-dotfiles-old-expand/dotvim_dir/.vim
saved-dotfiles-old-expand/dotvim_dir/.vim/colors
saved-dotfiles-old-expand/dotvim_dir/.vim/plugin

What you suggest is that either 'dotvim_dir' or '.vim' is ignored.
But string 'vim' is not even in .hgignore.

I probably need to start bisecting the .hgignore ...

> The three problems that you reported were regex-related, so
> maybe there was some problem in the re (or _sre) module...
> Is your python instalation OK?

Which test do I run to check my python installation ?

Yakov

Re: directory mysteriously ignored

Paul Moore-3
On 15/07/07, Yakov Lerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The ignored directory contains following fils:
>
> % find saved-dotfiles-old-expand
> saved-dotfiles-old-expand
> saved-dotfiles-old-expand/dotvim_dir
> saved-dotfiles-old-expand/dotvim_dir/.vim
> saved-dotfiles-old-expand/dotvim_dir/.vim/colors
> saved-dotfiles-old-expand/dotvim_dir/.vim/plugin

They look like directories to me, rather than files. Does find ! -type
d (something like that, I can't recall the exact syntax) show
anything? If not, there are no *files* to track, and so the
*directories* won't appear (as hg does not track directories per se).

Paul.

On 7/15/07, Paul Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 15/07/07, Yakov Lerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The ignored directory contains following fils:
>
> % find saved-dotfiles-old-expand
> saved-dotfiles-old-expand
> saved-dotfiles-old-expand/dotvim_dir
> saved-dotfiles-old-expand/dotvim_dir/.vim
> saved-dotfiles-old-expand/dotvim_dir/.vim/colors
> saved-dotfiles-old-expand/dotvim_dir/.vim/plugin

They look like directories to me, rather than files. Does find ! -type
d (something like that, I can't recall the exact syntax) show
anything? If not, there are no *files* to track, and so the
*directories* won't appear (as hg does not track directories per se).

You are right, those are all directories.

Is there recommended name for an empty
placeholder file to keep  empty directories from disappearing  ?
'.keepdir' or something ?

Yakov

Re: directory mysteriously ignored

Will Maier
On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 04:51:43AM -1100, Yakov Lerner wrote:
> You are right, those are all directories.
>
> Is there recommended name for an empty placeholder file to keep
> empty directories from disappearing  ?  '.keepdir' or something ?

This is addressed in the hgbook[0]; you can use anything you'd like,
although the book mentions '.hidden'.

[0] http://hgbook.red-bean.com/

--

[Will Maier]-----------------[[hidden email]|http://www.lfod.us/]