can't push easily

Uwe Brauer
Hi

The same repo which I just mentioned gives me another headache

Hg push tells me

abort: push creates new remote head a3f0eb41dd64!
(merge or see 'hg help push' for details about pushing new heads)

The last thing I want to do is to run
hg push -f

In the past it helped (with different repos) to run

Hg pull
hg merge
hg push

But not now.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Uwe Brauer

Re: can't push easily

Mario Castelán Castro
On 12/09/17 10:17, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Hg push tells me
>
> abort: push creates new remote head a3f0eb41dd64!
> (merge or see 'hg help push' for details about pushing new heads)

Follow the advice and read the built-in help. I find it very useful and
definitely it is much more simple and more helpful than the Git counterpart.

It seems that you are trying to push several heads (that is, unnamed
branches) in the same named branch. By default it will not allow this as
it is bad practice (but you can use the “-f” flag to do it anyway).

Ideally you should merge both (or as many as you have) heads/unnamed
branches so that you have only one head, then push.

--
Do not eat animals; respect them as you respect people.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+(become+OR+eat)+vegan

Re: can't push easily

Arne Babenhauserheide-2

Uwe Brauer <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hg push tells me
>
> abort: push creates new remote head a3f0eb41dd64!
> (merge or see 'hg help push' for details about pushing new heads)
>
> In the past it helped (with different repos) to run
>
> Hg pull
> hg merge
> hg push
>
> But not now.
Is it possible that there are some bookmarks on heads, so that they are
not used as merge targets?

If that’s not it, have a look at

hg status --subrepos

If there’s a problem there, you need to merge recursively.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

Re: can't push easily

Uwe Brauer
>>> "Mario" == Mario Castelán Castro <[hidden email]> writes:

    > On 12/09/17 10:17, Uwe Brauer wrote:
    >> Hg push tells me
    >>
    >> abort: push creates new remote head a3f0eb41dd64!
    >> (merge or see 'hg help push' for details about pushing new heads)

    > Follow the advice and read the built-in help. I find it very useful and
    > definitely it is much more simple and more helpful than the Git counterpart.

Yeah I did that already.
    > It seems that you are trying to push several heads (that is, unnamed
    > branches) in the same named branch. By default it will not allow this as
    > it is bad practice (but you can use the “-f” flag to do it anyway).

I know and I agree that it is and awful practice , that is why I said I
don't want to use -f.

I do have named branches and I did already run hg heads.

At the end I had to do

 hg up default
 hg merge

And one of the heads I oversaw before was merged into default.

The graph was not very helpful.

In any case th situation is complicated by the fact that I have subrepos.
    > Ideally you should merge both (or as many as you have) heads/unnamed
    > branches so that you have only one head, then push.
Now, I want to have some named branches as well.

Re: can't push easily

Uwe Brauer

   > Hi,
   > Uwe Brauer <[hidden email]> writes:

   > Is it possible that there are some bookmarks on heads, so that they are
   > not used as merge targets?

It it very strange, it seemed that I oversaw one nameless head.
After
  hg up default
  hg merge

I could push. I wonder were this head was coming from.

   > If that’s not it, have a look at

   > hg status --subrepos

That I definitely  have to do, thanks for pointing it out to me.

Re: can't push easily

Arne Babenhauserheide-2

Uwe Brauer <[hidden email]> writes:

>    > Hi,
>    > Uwe Brauer <[hidden email]> writes:
>

>    > Is it possible that there are some bookmarks on heads, so that they are
>    > not used as merge targets?
>

> It it very strange, it seemed that I oversaw one nameless head.
> After
>   hg up default
>   hg merge
>
> I could push. I wonder were this head was coming from.
If this worked, it’s possible that there was a bookmark on the tip of
default, so it wasn’t seen as a merge source. But normally there should
be a warning about this.

Best wishes,
Arne
--