Where are we today?

Lester Caine-2
Having been using Hg via TortoiseHG for many years I've got a lot of
material tied up in it. A while back I had to move to OpenSUSE
Tumbleweed to get the hardware on a new laptop working and I've been
fighting the problems that creates since day one, but at least the key
components work ... all but TortoiseHG and hggit :(

I think part of the problem is the decision on OpenSUSE to kill off
Python2 and only support 3 or at least that is how it seems when I try
and fix things. I've recently needed to get at some code history and
have thg 5.4.1 running which says ...
with Mercurial-5.4.2, Python-3.8.3, PyQt-5.13.2, Qt-5.15.0 and while the
community repo's have a 5.4.2 thg the .1 version is at least using the
same official repo's without needing personal ones. But I can't find a
way to get hggit installed even though in the past I've downloaded it
myself direct, but I'm of an age now where even writing things down I
can't remember how to do them!

I would happily switch to the windows machine but even that has problems
when in the past it WAS a simple install including hggit.

So basically ... what is the best way currently to retain access to
github hosted projects that I've been locally hosting on hg since
porting them from CVS and SVN :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

Re: Where are we today?

Manuel Jacob
Does "pip3 install hg-git==0.9.0a1" work for you? Either as root for a
global install, or as a user (that might require to pass the "--user"
option).

On 2020-07-29 12:08, Lester Caine wrote:

> Having been using Hg via TortoiseHG for many years I've got a lot of
> material tied up in it. A while back I had to move to OpenSUSE
> Tumbleweed to get the hardware on a new laptop working and I've been
> fighting the problems that creates since day one, but at least the key
> components work ... all but TortoiseHG and hggit :(
>
> I think part of the problem is the decision on OpenSUSE to kill off
> Python2 and only support 3 or at least that is how it seems when I try
> and fix things. I've recently needed to get at some code history and
> have thg 5.4.1 running which says ...
> with Mercurial-5.4.2, Python-3.8.3, PyQt-5.13.2, Qt-5.15.0 and while
> the community repo's have a 5.4.2 thg the .1 version is at least using
> the same official repo's without needing personal ones. But I can't
> find a way to get hggit installed even though in the past I've
> downloaded it myself direct, but I'm of an age now where even writing
> things down I can't remember how to do them!
>
> I would happily switch to the windows machine but even that has
> problems when in the past it WAS a simple install including hggit.
>
> So basically ... what is the best way currently to retain access to
> github hosted projects that I've been locally hosting on hg since
> porting them from CVS and SVN :(

Re: Where are we today?

Andrei Dziahel
Hi Lester,

I'm a maintainer of mercurial & TortoiseHG packages in openSUSE and
just made sure TortoiseHG works with hg-git v0.9.0a1 from pip. I'm
going to update the hg-git package in openSUSE after stabilizing it.

Thank you for heads up.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 1:30 PM Lester Caine <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Having been using Hg via TortoiseHG for many years I've got a lot of
> material tied up in it. A while back I had to move to OpenSUSE
> Tumbleweed to get the hardware on a new laptop working and I've been
> fighting the problems that creates since day one, but at least the key
> components work ... all but TortoiseHG and hggit :(
>
> I think part of the problem is the decision on OpenSUSE to kill off
> Python2 and only support 3 or at least that is how it seems when I try
> and fix things. I've recently needed to get at some code history and
> have thg 5.4.1 running which says ...
> with Mercurial-5.4.2, Python-3.8.3, PyQt-5.13.2, Qt-5.15.0 and while the
> community repo's have a 5.4.2 thg the .1 version is at least using the
> same official repo's without needing personal ones. But I can't find a
> way to get hggit installed even though in the past I've downloaded it
> myself direct, but I'm of an age now where even writing things down I
> can't remember how to do them!
>
> I would happily switch to the windows machine but even that has problems
> when in the past it WAS a simple install including hggit.
>
> So basically ... what is the best way currently to retain access to
> github hosted projects that I've been locally hosting on hg since
> porting them from CVS and SVN :(
>
> --
> Lester Caine - G8HFL

Andrei Dziahel

Re: Where are we today?

Lester Caine-2
On 29/07/2020 13:45, Andrei Dziahel wrote:
> Hi Lester,
>
> I'm a maintainer of mercurial & TortoiseHG packages in openSUSE and
> just made sure TortoiseHG works with hg-git v0.9.0a1 from pip. I'm
> going to update the hg-git package in openSUSE after stabilizing it.
>
> Thank you for heads up.

That is good to hear ... it has been years since I worked on packages in
the repo's so I was hoping someone was already on top of it! I'd
considered dropping back to leap15.x but don't think that would make any
difference in this case?

Just on site with a client's computer which did a windows update Monday
night as she left the office ... W10 will no longer use the the USB
mouse and keyboard and there is no PS/2 port on these Dell's! So now
wasting time trying to find out how to get control back other than
wiping windows and starting again! The Linux install was much the same
problem on this laptop so where is all this productivity improvement we
are supposedly getting :(