Virtual sprint? Ideas?

Augie Fackler-2
Howdy folks,

Normally we’d have wrapped up a sprint not too long ago and have given some thought to a NA location sprint. Given the circumstances around coronavirus and the (extremely vague!) guidance most of us have (presumably) gotten from our employers and/or governments, I think it’s time to start trying to figure out what a virtual sprint might look like. I’ll miss the whiteboard etc time with y’all, but I’d really like to get a chance to discuss longer-term projects and try to make some decisions about whatever needs deciding as a group.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Augie

Re: Virtual sprint? Ideas?

Raphaël Gomès
Hi there,

I think keeping the global sprint going even if in a new format is a good idea, but considering the obvious timezone issues we need to be quite organized if we want to do anything real-time.

Here's an idea: let's build up a list of all the main topics we want to discuss, estimate roughly how much time we want to allocate to them, then try to fit time slots when we can video chat about them in order of importance, keeping notes of what's been said. That could be the basis for a mailing-list discussion thread for longer-term discussion and ideas from people who couldn't join for that topic.
The question remains about how sparse we want these discussions to be. I see value in having a dedicated few days/week for kickstarting the discussions as opposed to a month-long "let's call each other sometimes" to stay in the groove. This will obviously be more sparse than if we were to meet IRL, but I think a denser format is better.

I'm afraid that just going for a more free-format discussion will not work through earth-wide videoconferencing.

Does that sound like a good idea?
Raphaël

On 5/20/20 1:42 AM, Augie Fackler wrote:
Howdy folks,

Normally we’d have wrapped up a sprint not too long ago and have given some thought to a NA location sprint. Given the circumstances around coronavirus and the (extremely vague!) guidance most of us have (presumably) gotten from our employers and/or governments, I think it’s time to start trying to figure out what a virtual sprint might look like. I’ll miss the whiteboard etc time with y’all, but I’d really like to get a chance to discuss longer-term projects and try to make some decisions about whatever needs deciding as a group.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Augie

Re: Virtual sprint? Ideas?

Martin von Zweigbergk via Mercurial-devel
Sounds like a good idea to me!

When do we want to do the next sprint? I think it would make sense to have one sooner than the usual ~October time frame since we missed the spring one. That should probably be possible since we won't need to plan travel.

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 5:26 AM Raphaël Gomès <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Pierre-Yves David-2
We should probably have the next in person sprint as soon as the
internal travel situation get reasonable again (+2 month to let people
plan travel). I am not sure when this will be and there is a risk it
would push us later than October :-/

The situation in Europe seems to improves slowly and intra-european
border à reopenning, so we might grab the opportunity to have as small
local print for people who leave in that area.

Cheers,

On 6/22/20 6:11 PM, Augie Fackler wrote:

> Agreed.
>
>> On Jun 22, 2020, at 11:49, Martin von Zweigbergk
>>
>> Sounds like a good idea to me!
>>
>> When do we want to do the next sprint? I think it would make sense to
>> have one sooner than the usual ~October time frame since we missed the
>> spring one. That should probably be possible since we won't need to
>> plan travel.
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 5:26 AM Raphaël Gomès
>>
>>     Hi there,
>>
>>     I think keeping the global sprint going even if in a new format is
>>     a good idea, but considering the obvious timezone issues we need
>>     to be quite organized if we want to do anything real-time.
>>
>>     Here's an idea: let's build up a list of all the main topics we
>>     want to discuss, estimate roughly how much time we want to
>>     allocate to them, then try to fit time slots when we can video
>>     chat about them in order of importance, keeping notes of what's
>>     been said. That could be the basis for a mailing-list discussion
>>     thread for longer-term discussion and ideas from people who
>>     couldn't join for that topic.
>>     The question remains about how sparse we want these discussions to
>>     be. I see value in having a dedicated few days/week for
>>     kickstarting the discussions as opposed to a month-long "let's
>>     call each other sometimes" to stay in the groove. This will
>>     obviously be more sparse than if we were to meet IRL, but I think
>>     a denser format is better.
>>
>>     I'm afraid that just going for a more free-format discussion will
>>     not work through earth-wide videoconferencing.
>>
>>     Does that sound like a good idea?
>>     Raphaël
>>
>>     On 5/20/20 1:42 AM, Augie Fackler wrote:
>>>     Howdy folks,
>>>
>>>     Normally we’d have wrapped up a sprint not too long ago and have given some thought to a NA location sprint. Given the circumstances around coronavirus and the (extremely vague!) guidance most of us have (presumably) gotten from our employers and/or governments, I think it’s time to start trying to figure out what a virtual sprint might look like. I’ll miss the whiteboard etc time with y’all, but I’d really like to get a chance to discuss longer-term projects and try to make some decisions about whatever needs deciding as a group.
>>>
>>>     Thoughts?
>>>
>>>     Thanks,
>>>     Augie

Pierre-Yves David