Request of recommendations for public Mercurial repository hosting

Request of recommendations for public Mercurial repository hosting

Mario Castelán Castro
(Note: cross posted to Mercurial mailing list and debian-user mailing list)

Hello. I am looking for a place to host a small free software (as in
freedom) project. I write to ask for your recommendations.

There are a few requirements:

(1) A public Mercurial repository is required. Features like bug
trackers, private repositories and pull requests are irrelevant for my
use case[1].

(2) Hosting static web pages for the project would be good, but it is
not required.

(3) I highly mistrust and oppose Google (it is the big eye in the
Internet) so a necessary requirement is that there is no Google JavaScript.

(4) Users that block JavaScript must be able to at least see the
repository URI. Requiring JavaScript for the developers (me) is
acceptable, as long as it is not Google's.

My only candidate so far is Bitbucket. I want to know if there are other
options. I have already discarded SourceForge because it has Google JS.
All other providers that I know either are paid or do not offer
Mercurial. Unfortunately, most only offer Git.

Footnotes:

[1]: This is a one-man project and it is formally verified, so the
probability of bugs is nearly zero. In the event that anybody wants to
send a patch, it would be handled through e-mail (with “hg bundle”). I
never understood what is good about pull requests.

--
Do not eat animals; respect them as you respect people.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+(become+OR+eat)+vegan

Re: Request of recommendations for public Mercurial repository hosting

Mario Castelán Castro
On 17/09/17 12:04, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> My only candidate so far is Bitbucket. I want to know if there are other
> options. I have already discarded SourceForge because it has Google JS.
> All other providers that I know either are paid or do not offer
> Mercurial. Unfortunately, most only offer Git.

I discovered that Bitbucket registration does not work with Google
JavaScript blocked, so it is no longer an option.

On the other hand, I found other options. Here is a list in case it it
useful to somebody else:

* Alioth <https://alioth.debian.org/>.
* GNU Savannah <https://savannah.gnu.org/>.
* OSDN <https://osdn.net/>.
* Ourproject <https://ourproject.org/>.

--
Do not eat animals; respect them as you respect people.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+(become+OR+eat)+vegan

Re: Request of recommendations for public Mercurial repository hosting

Nicolas Pinault
Le 17/09/2017 à 21:11, Mario Castelán Castro a écrit :
On 17/09/17 12:04, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
My only candidate so far is Bitbucket. I want to know if there are other
options. I have already discarded SourceForge because it has Google JS.
All other providers that I know either are paid or do not offer
Mercurial. Unfortunately, most only offer Git.
I discovered that Bitbucket registration does not work with Google
JavaScript blocked, so it is no longer an option.

On the other hand, I found other options. Here is a list in case it it
useful to somebody else:

* Alioth <https://alioth.debian.org/>.
* GNU Savannah <https://savannah.gnu.org/>.
* OSDN <https://osdn.net/>.
* Ourproject <https://ourproject.org/>.
The wikipedia list :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_source_code_hosting_facilities

Re: Request of recommendations for public Mercurial repository hosting

Sean Farley-3

Mario Castelán Castro <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 17/09/17 12:04, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
>> My only candidate so far is Bitbucket. I want to know if there are other
>> options. I have already discarded SourceForge because it has Google JS.
>> All other providers that I know either are paid or do not offer
>> Mercurial. Unfortunately, most only offer Git.
>
> I discovered that Bitbucket registration does not work with Google
> JavaScript blocked, so it is no longer an option.

Yeah, we use Google for captcha. I just tried to register a new account
by blocking analytics but allowing google ang gstatic. :shrug: