Mercurial match the options?

bo0od
Hi There,

i have sent this request before through the mailing list using susimail
before, but it seems that im not receiving the replies back. Thus im
using this email instead. I hope i did not disturb the mailing list.
sorry for inconvenient:

"
Im from I2P community and our developers using Monotone to develop the famous anonymous protocol I2P (or the invisible internet project).

Sadly monotone project died since 4 years ago, so we want to have alternative.

our conditions to make the development software to work well (specially with I2P) , to have these criteria:

- supports resume
- key signed checkins
- revocation of keys/trust function implementation
- easy migration of mtn history into new system

does Mercurial support these options? if no, is it on the road map? if no, then why not?

Thank You!"

feel free to reply on this email

Re: Mercurial match the options?

Gregory Szorc
On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 7:07 AM bo0od <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi There,

i have sent this request before through the mailing list using susimail
before, but it seems that im not receiving the replies back. Thus im
using this email instead. I hope i did not disturb the mailing list.
sorry for inconvenient:

"
Im from I2P community and our developers using Monotone to develop the famous anonymous protocol I2P (or the invisible internet project).

Sadly monotone project died since 4 years ago, so we want to have alternative.

our conditions to make the development software to work well (specially with I2P) , to have these criteria:

- supports resume

Supporting resume is difficult in the existing Mercurial wire protocol.

The good news is we are actively rewriting the wire protocol from scratch and the new design is intrinsically much more compatible with resume. I anticipate that resume will be implemented shortly after the new wire protocol is stabilized, which hopefully is some time in 2019.

- key signed checkins
- revocation of keys/trust function implementation

This is a hard problem. And Monotone arguably has one of the better solutions of any VCS.

We have some notes at https://www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/CommitSigningPlan for where we could potentially go here. But we haven't made any firm decisions. Nor have we prioritized the work. The feature will likely come into existence when someone is willing to spend the time to implement a feature. Until someone is lined up to do the work, I'm not convinced it is worthwhile to spend the (considerable) time to design a solution.

- easy migration of mtn history into new system

`hg convert` supports ingesting data from a number of VCS systems. It has a source for Monotone. How well it works, I'm not sure. Given Monotone's relative age and popularity, I'm guessing it may be a bit slow and buggy. Patches to improve it will be welcomed.