Quantcast

Ideas and Mentors for GSoC 2017.

Pulkit Goyal
Hi everyone,

Just like last year, this year also we are going to take part in GSoC under Python Software Foundation. Though we are still not listed at their wiki page because the page is frozen until Google confirms participation of Python. I am handling GSoC work this year of Mercurial ;).

We need ideas and mentors to participate. I have created a ideas page where I have enlisted leftover ideas from previous year.  https://www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/SummerOfCode/Ideas2017

Those who want to be mentors can reply to this mail, we want at least three mentors like last year.

Let's cook some new ideas. You can either discuss the idea here before adding there or can just add that to wiki page (however first one is preferred).

Regards
Pulkit Goyal

Re: Ideas and Mentors for GSoC 2017.

Pulkit Goyal
We are accepted as a sub-org under Python Software Foundation and we are listed on their wiki page http://python-gsoc.org/#ideas.

Now we need mentors and new project ideas. I guess we already have 2-3  new contributors who are interested in doing GSoC with Mercurial.

(Sorry for using Comic Sans in the previous mail)

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 12:55 AM, Pulkit Goyal <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just like last year, this year also we are going to take part in GSoC under Python Software Foundation. Though we are still not listed at their wiki page because the page is frozen until Google confirms participation of Python. I am handling GSoC work this year of Mercurial ;).

We need ideas and mentors to participate. I have created a ideas page where I have enlisted leftover ideas from previous year.  https://www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/SummerOfCode/Ideas2017

Those who want to be mentors can reply to this mail, we want at least three mentors like last year.

Let's cook some new ideas. You can either discuss the idea here before adding there or can just add that to wiki page (however first one is preferred).

Regards
Pulkit Goyal

Re: Ideas and Mentors for GSoC 2017.

Kevin Bullock-4

> On Mar 2, 2017, at 11:41, Pulkit Goyal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We are accepted as a sub-org under Python Software Foundation and we are listed on their wiki page http://python-gsoc.org/#ideas.
>
> Now we need mentors and new project ideas. I guess we already have 2-3  new contributors who are interested in doing GSoC with Mercurial.

Thanks for spearheading this! I'm willing to be a mentor again this year.

I'm sure people have ideas for student projects, but let's bear in mind: GSoC projects work well when they are big enough to work on for the whole summer, but need to be approachable for people who have no prior familiarity with the codebase. Hitting that sweet spot is hard. We could also consider more involved, but slightly smaller project ideas, _if_ experts from the community in that area have time to help a student ramp up.

pacem in terris / мир / शान्ति / ‎‫سَلاَم‬ / 平和
Kevin R. Bullock