Google Summer of Code 2019.

Pulkit Goyal
Hey everyone,

I hope you're doing well.

We missed the initial deadline for application to PSF for Google Summer of Code. Don't be scared, things are fine. Once google announces the list of organizations, PSF can accept more sub-orgs. Google will announce list of orgs on 26th Feb.

So let's get ourselves prepared till then. I am happy to manage things for us this year too. But if someone else wants to take up, I am happy to share the load.

That said, we need project ideas and mentors.

The coding period is of roughly three months. Hence project should not be very small. Projects can be big and we can put initial part of that in summer of code and if student wants to continue contributing, they can maybe complete that.
In past years, we had project ideas like python3-porting, releasenotes extension, improvement to largefiles, improving grep etc.
If you have any such project idea, please reply to this email. Good project ideas will help us get more applications.

We also need people to mentor. Quoting from summer of code webiste:

Mentors are people from the community who volunteer to work with a student. Mentors provide guidance such as pointers to useful documentation, code reviews, etc. In addition to providing students with feedback and pointers, a mentor acts as an ambassador to help student contributors integrate into their project’s community.

If you are willing to mentor, please reply to this email.

Thanks and regards
Pulkit

Re: Google Summer of Code 2019.

Sangeet Kumar Mishra
Hey Pulkit,
Thanks for the detailed write-up.
I can help with mentoring if required.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 9:23 PM Pulkit Goyal <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Undergraduate,
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
GitHub : LinkedIn : Facebook