GUI diff/merge tool?

Victor Sudakov-2
Dear Colleagues,

What graphical merge/diff tool are you using with Mercurial under
Linux/FreeBSD?

I'm especially interested in a graphical diff tool. I've tried Kdiff3
and Meld, but have not found a mode to display only differences (like
the CLI diff tools does). Also, when I asked Meld to generate/show a
patch between two almost identical files, it did the job incorrectly
(showed many more lines as added/removed than actually were different).

Share your favourite tool pleaase.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

Re: GUI diff/merge tool?

Tom Hindle
For me meld works great (both on windows + Linux), many years ago it didn't work well on Windows (I used to use the perforce diff tool there instead), but these day it works great.
I still use kdiff3 for merge conflict resolution, as it better than meld for that.

Yes meld does display the whole file, but one can just step though the changes using keyboard short cuts, Ctrl + D (next), Ctrl + E (previous)

Meld:

image.png

vs raw output:

image.png
What meld really excess at is the speed one can review and cleanup up unwanted changes, via the icons in the middle.

image.png

(additionally holding Ctrl gives access to alternative options)

Most of the time I launch meld via thg, but one can also run meld in the root of you .hg repo, and type "meld .". It will then show you all your working directory changes.

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 11:30 AM Victor Sudakov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Colleagues,

What graphical merge/diff tool are you using with Mercurial under
Linux/FreeBSD?

I'm especially interested in a graphical diff tool. I've tried Kdiff3
and Meld, but have not found a mode to display only differences (like
the CLI diff tools does). Also, when I asked Meld to generate/show a
patch between two almost identical files, it did the job incorrectly
(showed many more lines as added/removed than actually were different).

Share your favourite tool pleaase.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

Re: GUI diff/merge tool?

Lester Caine-2
On 01/08/2020 18:29, Victor Sudakov wrote:

> What graphical merge/diff tool are you using with Mercurial under
> Linux/FreeBSD?
>
> I'm especially interested in a graphical diff tool. I've tried Kdiff3
> and Meld, but have not found a mode to display only differences (like
> the CLI diff tools does). Also, when I asked Meld to generate/show a
> patch between two almost identical files, it did the job incorrectly
> (showed many more lines as added/removed than actually were different).
>
> Share your favourite tool pleaase.

One of the few software packages I bought which has a nice lifetime
license was BeyondCompare. Initially it was (I think) only on windows
and I was using it because of it's excellent integration into Borland
tools at the time. I've long dropped paying for the Borland Side, but
Builder has gone from strength to strength and works on Linux and Mac as
well. I especially like the ability to work against a zip file, so I can
check differences between published stuff without needing the code
management stuff. Also direct onto the remote machines for those quick
hacks on PHP sites ...

https://www.scootersoftware.com

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

Re: GUI diff/merge tool?

Lester Caine-2
On 02/08/2020 09:57, Lester Caine wrote:

> On 01/08/2020 18:29, Victor Sudakov wrote:
>> What graphical merge/diff tool are you using with Mercurial under
>> Linux/FreeBSD?
>>
>> I'm especially interested in a graphical diff tool. I've tried Kdiff3
>> and Meld, but have not found a mode to display only differences (like
>> the CLI diff tools does). Also, when I asked Meld to generate/show a
>> patch between two almost identical files, it did the job incorrectly
>> (showed many more lines as added/removed than actually were different).
>>
>> Share your favourite tool pleaase.
>
> One of the few software packages I bought which has a nice lifetime
> license was BeyondCompare. Initially it was (I think) only on windows
> and I was using it because of it's excellent integration into Borland
> tools at the time. I've long dropped paying for the Borland Side, but
> Builder has gone from strength to strength and works on Linux and Mac as
BeyondCompare has gone from strength to strength!
> well. I especially like the ability to work against a zip file, so I can
> check differences between published stuff without needing the code
> management stuff. Also direct onto the remote machines for those quick
> hacks on PHP sites ...
>
> https://www.scootersoftware.com

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

Re: GUI diff/merge tool?

Marcin Kasperski-2

> What graphical merge/diff tool are you using with Mercurial under
> Linux/FreeBSD?

I use kdiff3, and I am happy with it (except some unncessary popups).
IMHO this is right approach – simultaneous access to common base,
both merged versions, and final output. It also happens to be smarter
than internal merge in some cases (esp. related to whitespace).

I dislike meld.

For patch generation and reports commandline is OK.

I suppose SemanticMerge may be worth a look but for me it is too
expensive + does handle only subset of languages I use.

Re: GUI diff/merge tool?

Marcus Harnisch-2
On 01/08/2020 19.29, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> What graphical merge/diff tool are you using with Mercurial under
> Linux/FreeBSD?

Emacs + Ediff

Re: GUI diff/merge tool?

Scott Palmer
I use DiffMerge https://sourcegear.com/diffmerge/ on all three platforms.
(I find kdiff3 to have an extremely poor/confusing UI. Whenever I’m on a system where it pops up to handle a merge I just abort as I can’t tell what the heck it is doing.)

On Aug 3, 2020, at 10:09 AM, Marcus Harnisch <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 01/08/2020 19.29, Victor Sudakov wrote:
What graphical merge/diff tool are you using with Mercurial under
Linux/FreeBSD?

Emacs + Ediff

Re: GUI diff/merge tool?

Tony Mechelynck
On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 7:31 PM Victor Sudakov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> What graphical merge/diff tool are you using with Mercurial under
> Linux/FreeBSD?
>
> I'm especially interested in a graphical diff tool. I've tried Kdiff3
> and Meld, but have not found a mode to display only differences (like
> the CLI diff tools does). Also, when I asked Meld to generate/show a
> patch between two almost identical files, it did the job incorrectly
> (showed many more lines as added/removed than actually were different).
>
> Share your favourite tool pleaase.

I use vimdiff, which opens in the same console where I was running
Mercurial's "hg" executable: for me that is a plus. I could use
gvimdiff which displays practically the same thing as vimdiff (and
IIRC only as many lines of context as I like) but in a separate GUI.
YMMV, of course. I see that "hg showconfig" lists a lot of
preconfigured diff editors under merge-tools.* Maybe you could use
some trial and error, trying the ones listed until you find one which
suits you?

Best regards,
Tony.

Re: GUI diff/merge tool?

Ernie Rael-2

> On 01/08/2020 18:29, Victor Sudakov wrote:
>> What graphical merge/diff tool are you using with Mercurial under
>> Linux/FreeBSD?
>>
>> I'm especially interested in a graphical diff tool. I've tried Kdiff3
>> and Meld, but have not found a mode to display only differences (like
>> the CLI diff tools does). Also, when I asked Meld to generate/show a
>> patch between two almost identical files, it did the job incorrectly
>> (showed many more lines as added/removed than actually were different).
>>
>> Share your favourite tool pleaase.

  I have found splice (a vim plugin) to be excellent. It provides
multiple ways view the files involved. Check it out at

    https://docs.stevelosh.com/splice.vim/

Instructions on configuration for hgrc are included. Plus a
comprehensive usage video.

And there's a variety of online info/examples of using it for example

    https://teleogistic.net/2013/03/21/using-splice-vim-as-a-git-mergetool/

-ernie

Re: GUI diff/merge tool?

Alessandro Dentella-2
On Mon, Aug 03, 2020 at 04:09:04PM +0200, Marcus Harnisch wrote:
> On 01/08/2020 19.29, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> > What graphical merge/diff tool are you using with Mercurial under
> > Linux/FreeBSD?
>
> Emacs + Ediff

Mee too

*:-)